Popular Posts

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Jamila Harris - Minister/Radio Host/ Philanthropist

Our next interview is with a woman who partners with her husband and another female minister to give focus and love to those they serve over the airwaves. With Show titles like, "Hot and Holy" and "Why Should I Get Married", the entertainment level of the show is actually pretty high. But breaking in on the Christian radio scene is not for the faint of heart, and one's goals have to be precise and focused...as we will see with  Pastor Jamila Harris.


Name: Jamila Harris

Occupation:Radio Host/Author/Producer

What degree did you graduate from Troy with? I have a AA from Rose State College focus PR, BA from University of Central OK, Journalism, MEd Troy University and a current student of Ministry With Excellence.

Did your formal education properly prepare you for what you are doing today? I would have to say yes, my experiences in life as well as my education.  While in under grad I took every class offered to better prepare my self for any arena of Journalism. While in high school I always knew I was a writer and pursued enhancing my skills in college.

Where are you from originally? Dallas, Texas

How long have you been a Radio DJ/ Minister/ Philanthropist? Radio- February 2011/ Minister 2008/  Philanthropist- since I was a young child- I recall winning a trophy being classified as the Dr. Martin Luther King award. It was for my pursuit of peace and regarded as one who liked to unify.

What "Big" names in the music business have you been able to meet because of your job? Kirk Franklin, Mary Mary, Kenny Rogers, Chandra Currelley, Palmer Williams Jr.. etc

Was this year the first time you attended the Dove Awards? Yes

Who are some Christian artists that we(the public) should be on the lookout for? Now I can't tell all my secrets but I must say one person I am looking froward to interviewing is Chandra Currelley, Milliyon just to name a few

When and how did Matters of the Heart come into being? My husband and I was interviewed on the radio show about two years ago and the thought was then impregnated.  Because I am the founder of Healing of a Broken Heart Ministry we thought it would be beneficial to have a show that would tie into what we were already doing in the ministry.  It is really good because the matters of the heart is what concerns you and me as an individual,  Some think it is just about relationships yet so much more concerns us in life beyond relationships.  So many of us are hurt in our life and I would like to believe that our efforts on the show are to help direct a person to what God is saying about the matters of our heart, so we can be healed and restored compassionately to move forward for what we were originated for to begin with.

Who should be listening? teens to adults, single, married
What has been your favorite show so far?  That is hard because the show seems to get better each time. Some of my favorite topics where speaking about Hot & Holy, Doing My Husband Good All the Days of My Life, I enjoyed all the topics of May and Approval but also the Battle of the Sexes- we focused on  the man's vs the woman's money.  It is really hard to pick just one.

What is your Ministry all about? (Who is your focus...where does your heart lay?) Our show can be thought of as a Bible Diet, my focus is for those who have been hurt, who struggle with understanding the Bible and how it relates to their life, I have a heart for couples, I must say.  My husband and I host the show together with another co host and I must say for me you can hear the passion about promoting love.  I came from a divorced family.  I am the fourth child of six children and I dreamt of one day being married and hoping to make it last.  My husband also grew up with out married parents.  I believe we are living testimonies that just because your upbringing was one way it does not necessarily dictate what God has for you.

Did you always want to be a Minister? No not at all.  I never thought about it.  I always knew I was a writer and as a child I would tell my mom, "I was created to show people how to love."

How many shelters do you and your ministry serve weekly?  we only service Atlanta Children's Shelter- we hold several 2-4 hour segments of Self Esteem Training, for the ladies and upon graduation we always hold a public event so people can see what we are doing and give them an opportunity to get involved.  I have a heart for the homeless and I made a promise to God to help empower women, with such broken hearts.

How can someone sign up to help out? They can go on our site and request info about volunteering and let us know what area they would like to contribute and we will coordinate things from there.

What is your favorite and least favorite thing about what you do? Knowing someone is being encouraged or healed; that someone has smiled by what we do warms my heart. Knowing that someone is still holding on to their life and marriage brings joy to my heart.  The thing I like least is knowing that the need for volunteers will always outweigh the help.  There are so many hurt people in this world and I think we can be doing more to put programs together to help those when they experiencing failure.  I read that a word of encouragement during a failure to a person is worth more than words of encouragement for an hour to a person who has succeeded.  More encouragement and empowerment needs to take place and it hurts me that it's not so.

What is your overall goal for your ministry and radio show? (To compassionately restore the broken hearted! )To bridge people to get involved in a good biblical church, developing a full time relationship with God.  When I think of my ministry and even the radio show I see us as a bridge to connect people to churches.  To many churches  I think they feel we might be trying to take people away from their church nonetheless that is not our intent at all.  We hope to work with churches, work with pastors so when the broken hearted come to us we know where to direct them to get the nutrients they need to be compassionately restored to do the will of God.

Where can listeners go to hear you weekly? www.hbeart.org or tune into AM Tuesday's on 860 Love from 8-9 PM. you can check us out on Matters of the Heart Radio Facebook, follow us on Twitter at @jamilamathearts. Milliyon will be our guest in the coming weeks.

What do you wish you had known at 15? God wants you to be married before having sex; and living with a man should be done once you are married to a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment